| out of focus picture of Bemis bellflower... look at that stamen! (?) |
2016 GTD*
In July of 2016, in my "Concept Hauler" journal, I write about how I'm trying to get more done.
Last Sunday I planned 20 hours of work on projects and 13 hours on school work. I set a goal of "10 points" for each of the following -- office work, working out, and guitar. I ended up like this: I did 11 hours of project work (11/20). I did 7/13 hours of school work. I did exactly 5/10 of each of the 3 chores.
I just thought this was an interesting snapshot of me trying to GTD.
Eat the frog*
Mark Twain: Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
NYT: "The point is that starting your morning by tackling challenges head-on will help encourage similar behavior throughout the day... people who do hard things first tend to procrastinated less and get more done, according to Brian Tracy's book Eat That Frog".... The world is full of hard and scary things. We are at our best when we can tackle them bravely and confidently, not when we are accustomed to shying away.
No joie de vivre*
Again in 2016, July, I reflected on a trip to parent's house with Gus. (I name: I regret having the dog some. It's a distraction and an additional constant responsibility. At the same time, it's something to talk about always and it's a distraction, an additional ball to juggle, which keeps things from being repetitive and stale.)... and I end with this reflection on the trip to Mt. Prospect:
I wish I could be happier there [at parent's house]. I was up tight about the dog, irritable, glum. No lightness of heart. no joy de vivre.
Why does this catch my attention? Recently I posted about my 2016 desire to be the Energizer Bunny, with an infinite appetite for consuming experiences, saddened by having an unremarkable day. Here it's a recognition that the dog is a distraction (what will I find, what we will find as a family? if we are bored?) and a naming of a sad feeling -- no lightness, no joy.
That what continues to resonate for me: the desire for lightness, for joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment