Saturday, July 18, 2026

This semester I invite you to learn



Over on Substack, Lily Abadal college prof writes about her idea to start with an invitation to learn, rather than proscriptions.  


This Fall I will not start the semester reviewing AI, academic integrity policies. I’ve realized policies have very little to do with how students actually show up or use AI in my class. Sadly, arguments don’t appear overly compelling either. So, I won’t give my class op-eds to read about de-skilling and outsourcing or outline all the reasons that this will hurt their souls and brains. And, I won’t desperately implore them to care more about the humanities using the comments of CEOs about the kind of workers they want and will hire.


Instead, I will start with an invitation—a literal invitation that will frame the semester and orient it towards it’s proper end. It will not simply be said. I’m going to hand-write each of my students an invitation to learn. They will see their name on an envelope printed with my pen. It will be on Crane & Co. stationary and hopefully signal that I care deeply about ideas and learning and them (and maybe that I’m a little bit crazy).

 Here's the invite:


This semester I invite you to learn...
To encounter thinkers that will change you 
To sit with big ideas and let them stir
To slow down and feel the weight of something good.

I invite you to read hard things 
To write beautiful words with pen 
To work through arguments on paper.

I invite you to meet new friends 
To explore their perspectives 
To dialogue with sincerity and curiosity.
I invite you to be humble and patient and honest.

In this word increasingly obsessed with shallow speed a performative polish, 
I invite you to do the messy, authentic, and very human work of understanding


Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment