Sunday, June 21, 2026

Fool’s Gold by Aimee Nezhukumatathil

 Fool’s Gold

Joy because all the rocks could fit 

in a little girl's fist. I was a girl who 

wanted a little shiny treat on road trips.

Still am. My parents always dished out


rules at every rock shop while we stopped

 to get gas in the desert: Decide quickly!

Just one! How to choose between 

chalcopyrite, rose quartz, fool's gold,


a geode slice, or amethyst? That word 

so pretty on my tongue and teeth. I liked 

to tumble that word around in my mouth 

while riding my bike or waiting


for the school bus. It made me think-

perhaps for the first time ever-of being 

a mother. Silly now to think of it, but

 I thought if I had a little girl, I'd name her


Amethyst. Amethyst-how I loved making 

the thyssst sound like a snake! Out of all those

 dusty bins in all those souvenir stores, I kept 

selecting fool's gold, kept buying it with


my allowance for the best payoff, the best trick.

Sometimes I'd convince the neighborhood kids 

to believe I had a pirate map. There was treasure 

found there, in the suburbs of Phoenix. The day


before, I'd bury it in the labyrinth of ditches 

in the cul-de-sacs of our little stucco homes.

We rode bikes everywhere. When we were 

outside, our parents never knew where


we were. I'd lead the younger kids to the very spot

 I chose before. We kicked and clawed at the dirt

 until that familiar gleam shone. I didn't mean 

to fill our days. I know they went home and told


their parents we struck gold. And we did.

The unbelievable part is not that the kids believed 

me every single time. The unbelievable part 

is I thought we'd have a gazillion more days like


this—sun-drenched and dust-decorated,

 our hours stretched like pastel taffy. I thought

 we'd have so many days, more days flying-

riding bikes until sunset, popping wheelies


when the coast was clear. I thought

our parents would always be at the front door, 

flicking on and off the porch light,

 calling all of us home, all of us fools.

No comments:

Post a Comment